I have been collecting story starters, you can use them with your class and add some of your own in the comments.
11. Slowly, a foot moved, then the trunk, then a loud growl shook the cavern...
12. The gravestones stood silently, row upon row like soldiers long forgotten, a scream shattered the silence...
13. Bleary-eyed, I went downstairs for breakfast, the house was empty, even the furniture had gone...
14. The lights flickered and then went off, then the sirens started, it was coming, we knew it wouldn’t be the last time...
15. The date was 13th July, my 345th birthday... it would be my last...
16. Three of us. We were the only ones left, the only ones to make it to the island.
17. "What have you done?" the headmaster bellowed, all eyes now turned to me as he stood over the lifeless body on playground.
18. Dad just sat and cried. He cried for three whole days. His face was blotchy and his eyes were red. Then one day he just stopped...
19. "Follow me!" she whispered.
20. The clock stopped... 74 minutes past 18...it was time to get up.
21. The car screamed to a halt, four men wearing masks jumped out and ran into the nearest building, I looked around. The street was deserted except for me.
22. Everything stopped, people were stood like statues all around me, people in cars, men on bicycles, babies in prams all lifeless, frozen in time.
23. I had never seen a ghost. But like they say, there is a first time for everything.
24. He opened the safe and it had gone. No one had the code, who could have opened it?
25. Grey and foreboding, the castle stood atop the hill looking down across the small town, in the topmost window of the highest tower stood a small boy called...
26. Am I in heaven? What happened to me?
27. They were getting closer, yesterday Berlin, today Paris, when would they attack London?
28. Closer and closer it came, it was getting bigger and bigger, soon it filled the sky above, was the moon falling?
29. He wandered aimlessly through the house seeking any form of distraction to avoid the inevitable doom. 30. Why did it feel like he was nearing the gallows?
31. Peeking through the window her surprise turned to horror...
32. I woke up with a start, something was in my room. The wardrobe doors opened and it came out of my wardrobe.
33. "Witches don't exist!" My gran's words echoed around my head as the horrific visage gurned at me through my bedroom window.
34. Keeping watch at the side of the ship, George was tiring; his eyes weary from constantly searching the horizon, were they also playing tricks on him? What was that waving from the rocks?
35. The two coins in his pocket clinked together as he stumbled down the cold pavement, the holes in his shoes turning his feet into blocks of ice. His heart was warmed though in the knowledge that he was rich.
36. The day had come... they had been warned... they didn't listen and now it was happening...
37. They had deflected so many attacks, would they succeed this time?
38. The phone rang. "Hello," I said, "Hello." No one was there. I hung up. All the lights went out...
39. Wrapped up warm against the icy fingers of dusk, the caretaker closed the cemetery gates, who was that watching him?
40. Hundreds of eyes peered at me through the darkness in the alley. How many cats where there? Why were they all here together?
41. I heard the music as I entered the room, but all that was there was a violin, lay there on it's back on the bare floorboards.
42. It was the day the moon fell.
43. I couldn't believe a word he told me any more and why had he brought me here?
44. Cold and wet, tired and exhausted she made her way along the path through the forest.
45. Everything stopped, everything a statue all around me. Frozen in time.
46. "Help me!" Help me!" Came the call from behind the steel door.
47. "Welcome to the future!" saidving, the teacher as she removed the sheet with a flourish revealing what had been hidden beneath.
48. My next door neighbours, The Johnsons, were all asleep in their coffins when I climbed the fence to get the ball.
49. It moved, why was it moving? That should not have been moving, well not on it's own anyway.
50. I hadn't seen the door before. It wasn't there last night. Cautiously, I turned the handle.
51. She scratched his face from the photograph. She would get her revenge.
52. I was on the 12th step when I awoke in my pyjamas...
53. Something called off in the distance. "Climb on quick!" She commanded...
54. It was a bright, frosty morning. The pavement glistened like a carpet of crushed diamonds in the early morning sunshine. by Debbie Reynolds
55. As she walked along the street the tiny dragon in her pocket stirred restlessly. By Dot Hallam
56. Just after he died, he sat up.
57. His metal mask shone in the sunlight, he prayed that this would not be his last day.
58. 'I pushed open the old creaky door and looked inside. What a sight met my eyes!' (by @petejackson32)
59. It was spring 2014 when I first realised I could breathe under water. (by @jackson2160)
60. I stopped, the footsteps stopped too, I knew it was a bad idea to cut across the graveyard this late...
21/1/2015 08:05:33 am
Hi Rob - these are great! As are the pictures. Going to pinch them for ideas at workshops. Thanks!
1/3/2015 10:24:17 am
Hi Rob - These are AMAZING! I too am going to "borrow" your ideas for my class. Thank you for sharing :)
12/3/2015 12:52:44 pm
Brilliant pls can I borrow they are great I am going to use for essay
12/4/2015 01:46:55 pm
Thanks Rob these are fantastic. I will look at use a few to inspire my more reluctant writers. The pictures are amazing. Cheers
27/4/2015 06:04:12 am
Miss lambert i do no know what to do on the task sorry to TeX you so late at night can you help me
24/6/2015 01:47:09 am
fantastic resource that will motivate my writing wizards thanks a million
11/7/2015 09:09:27 am
Hi these are great. Hope you don't mind if I 'magpie' them! Will use them in September in my writing intervention group. Thank you.
12/7/2015 12:50:25 pm
No please do - that is what they are there for
4/8/2015 05:05:18 pm
The car screamed to a halt, four men wearing masks jumped out and ran into the nearest building, I looked around. The street was deserted except for me. I didn’t have time to think I grabbed out my phone and started to dial 111 when I felt a pair of cold hands clasp themselves around my dry lips I tried to scream but nothing came out my fingers started to sting as I felt thick dry rope wrap itself around my slim body I collapsed in pain landing on the sidewalk I watched the men run into the bank disappearing out of my sight I heard the loud wail of sirens coming with all around me I gasped in relief and closed my eyes.
4/4/2018 12:50:14 pm
2/5/2020 11:24:37 am
17/1/2016 09:24:35 am
I love this blog. Brilliant and helpful!
4/2/2016 08:35:58 pm
Georgiana Rochester, Your starter is great! Although, you could put some full stops in and not use as many wow words. Otherwise, it's great! PS. Thanks for the story starters, I will use them alot! Xxx
18/5/2016 05:03:32 pm
6/2/2017 05:41:09 pm
these are great going to have to use some for my story I am writing. cant choose which one to start it off might have to use more than one in my story
3/2/2019 07:49:24 pm
great for the 500 words challenge thanks
2/6/2019 08:17:36 am
14/2/2020 03:04:16 pm
it was cold i felt like i was frozen
2/4/2021 09:31:36 am
I thoroughly enjoyed this blog, thanks for sharing
Leave a Reply.